Monday 31 October 2011

There are more G.I. Joes than Kens....

Happy Halloween!
I will save you all from my rant about "sexy" Halloween costumes this time. But, let me tell you, I could not even find a crayon costume that was tasteful. Sexy crayon?? Seriously? Moving on....I had been asking all the kids I teach ballet to, what they were planning on being for Halloween. I soon noticed an interesting trend- "wedding bride". Is there another kind of bride I am not aware of? Anyway, this "wedding bride" costume was soon becoming the favorite of 2011, at least with the 5-7 year olds. As they proudly told me their costume choices, a sad voice in my head wanted to immediately tell them that the bride costume was a poor choice, but I didn't burst their little bubbles. However, the trend continued when I went to work and met with my VP. She told me her daughter picked out her costume, "Wedding Bride". You don't say....
At this point I felt as if the world should know my feelings of anger for imposing such a romantic fantasy on 5 year olds! So, I asked, "why isn't there a single, 30 year old career woman costume"? To which my VP replied sarcastically", "I didn't see that one". I might be slightly biased, but what 5 year old wouldn't want to be me?!! After asking several questions about how she came up with this costume choice,  I did find out that Toys R Us has a large Wedding Barbie and Ken display currently- which explains the popularity of the "Wedding Bride". At this point I was a bit frustrated that this display existed. So, I happen to mention to my VP that perhaps "Groom Ken" should actually be; "Acts like he is 20 Ken", "Bi-Polar Ken", "Alcoholic Ken", "Lives with his Mom Ken", "Work O Holic Ken" or my personal nemesis, "Commitment Phobe Ken". I mean, let's at least make the wedding dream a bit more realistic for these little girls!!

My VP was quick to respond and informed me that those seemed more like G.I Joe traits than Ken traits. Suddenly, years of dating ups and downs became clear...I have never dated a Ken, only G.I Joe after G.I Joe. Proud of my sudden personal growth, I thanked my VP for helping me realize this. She was quick to reassure me not to worry, but added that unfortunately, the G.I Joe selection at Toys R Us is much bigger than the Ken selection. Well, that explains a few things!

To think, after all these years, all I need to know in life I could have learned at Toys R Us. Who knew?!

No comments:

Post a Comment