Saturday 31 December 2011

The good, the bad and the ugly- 12 boys in 12 months

It is December 31, 2011 and what better day to reflect back on 2011. I have a lot of amazing things going on in my life, but let's be honest, they are not as funny as my dating life. So, here is to 2011. As my friend Nicole said to me last night, "you had mountain peaks and the lowest of lows". Both are true. And I am grateful for all of it. Every mortifying moment. Every laugh, every tear. Inspired by the current book I am reading, "31 Dates in 31 Days", by Tamara Duricka Johnson, sit back and enjoy my own journey- "12 boys in 12 months".

Greg: The charmer
This was the end, or the beginning. Depends which day you ask me. You will remember him as the guy who charmed the pants off me for over 2 years and one day, while standing in our kitchen, he said, "I think I would be better to you if my heart was in this". There you have it. The moment at the end of March 2011 that brought me to a fork in the road that no 30-something girl wants to be at. Sink or swim? I chose swim. After all, he was one part of my life, not my whole life. And surely, it was happening for a reason, even if I couldn't see it then. The next 2 months were a bit of a blur. But, I figured there must be nice guys out there. So, no stranger to on line dating, i figured I should get back on the horse.
Jason: The Great Wall of China
Jason was my first official date after Greg. And to this day, probably the best. In fact, I just had drinks with him yesterday- but that is another story. For 2 months we tried to get to know each other. The truth is, we were both hurt in the past. And when two people who have walls up start to date, nothing moves very fast. Jason, challenges me, which I love. We both have a quick wit and can talk about anything. However, timing is everything and we just couldn't figure each other out. But, he still makes me laugh, so we have stayed in touch as friends. Which I am grateful for. And between the nice dinners and golfing, we have shared many amazing moments. None of which I regret. So, as things started to fizzle during Stampede, I already had 3 dates lined up.
John: Dog Park Guy
John asked me if I wanted to come over to his house and have wine as our first date. Is he crazy?? I don't want to end up in a bathtub of ice missing a kidney. So, we ended up meeting at the dog park. He decided that my dog needs better training and spent a 1/2 hr yelling at her. Yep, this happened.
Rod: The Name Repeater
Rod was a sweet guy. Probably too sweet. We had plenty in common. Both like running and his family has a place in Tucson like mine. But a girl should never read into these things. So, he suggested a date of mini golf and pool. As soon as I saw him, i knew there was nothing there. Yes- I judged early. It was the wrinkled shirt tucked into Kirkland jeans. Anyway, I tried to enjoy myself but the guy sounded like he was reading from dating cue cards. "What's your favourite colour Meg", "What kinds of movies do you like Meg?", "Hey Meg- good shot". "Wow Meg, you sure are good at mini golf". Poor thing. He gave it a good effort. Luckily I had another date lined up that week, or was it?
Todd: Just Jaded
The best part of this date isn't even that he angrily told me he purchased the watch he was wearing with the money meant for a down payment for a ring for his Ex. The best part was that my Grade 12 Grad Date ended up being our waiter. In some cases this would have been a horrid experience, but luckily Jason saved me with a big glass of wine and small talk so I didn't have to endure the idiot known as Todd. Thanks Jason!
Kevin: The A & W Atheist
I have mixed feelings about this one. Truthfully, he made me feel like a princess. Took me to amazing restaurants and told me how beautiful I was. What girl wouldn't milk it? This girl. Once I found out he believed in NOTHING, it was over for me. I need to be with someone who believes we are all connected some how, some way. I don't care too much about the how, just that you care. So, after a few amazing dates, I ended it. He will be a great catch for someone though! And what he taught me is that I do know what I want and I can see through the fancy car and expensive dinners to what really matters to me. I was proud of myself for this one. It wasn't easy.
Mark: The Renter
Let me start by saying, there is nothing wrong with renting. But, when he found out I owned my own place, he spent 20 mins telling me why renting is better than owning. Next!
Jeff Jeff:
We have to call him Jeff Jeff because I work with two Jeff's and it was getting awkward trying to explain myself and who needs that office gossip! This is doozy!! After 8 years, I got a message from JJ on a site. Saying, "I don't want to creep you out but we know each other. Truth is I wanted to ask you out years ago but you had a boyfriend at the time." So, when I figured out who it was, I was really excited to see him again. And it was realllly good to see him again. We hung out a few times. Then he started to act strange. I am not dumb. I figured he probably had another gal on the go. At that point, given that we had only hung out a few times, I figured it was a nice friendship to rekindle if nothing else. But the he texted me and said, "I just don't see you romantically". Ok. Really? I thought you had avoided all contact because you really liked me. So glad you clarified. Long story short, i tried to forget it happened. We have talked since, but he still has strange behaviour and isn't even a great friend to me. So, my advice to myself is NEXT. And I give really good advice!
Brent: Bi-Polar Brent
I know what I want, no I don't, yes I do, no I don't. Dating Brent was fun and not so fun at the same time. Maybe his bi-polar behaviour is rubbing off on me. Brent is great on paper. And in person, he was close. At first.... We had a 3 hr first date over drinks. Lots of laughs, but I paid- clue #1. Decided on date 2- Screamfest. We had dinner first, this time I offered to pay since he bought the Screamfest tickets, but it was his idea, so I think a great girl would offer and a great guy would say, "my treat". After dinner we went to Screamfest. Which was actually one of the funnest times I have had. I screamed my head off. So did he. I was tired and he knew I had to teach in the morning. But, he insisted on drinks afterwards. So, half asleep I made small talk. As we walked to our cars, he asked, "Do you want to do this again". I say what i always do, "ya, we could figure something out". To which he replies, "I don't want to". Um ok. Could you not have told me that 2 hrs ago and not made me go have drinks with you until 1:30am when i teach in the morning? I replied slightly stunned, "ok- Thanks for the fun night", and got in my car. Then I laughed. Did that just happen? What ever happened to never texting again. Sends the same message, but saves me a few hrs of my time and one SUPER awkward moment. This story ends with a text from him 2 days later saying, "I think I came off wrong the other night, we had fun and I would like to see you again". What I wanted to say was, "No way in hell A^%hole". So I did......ok I was a bit nicer than that.
The Break:
This is when I was exhausted and busy and said if someone asked me out I would go. But was certainly putting little to no effort into finding dates. I figured I had learned enough lessons and got back on the dating train. Mission accomplished. So, brought on the final few dates of 2011...
Stephen: He thinks he is awesome....
I can make this one really quick. Meet up, drink my tea as fast as I can since this guy is creepier than the Saw series. Leave. Delete number from phone. Delete date from memory (after today)!
Pat: What you see isn't what you get
It is always interesting going on blind dates. You do have some idea what they look like. And for the most part, all of these guys slightly resemble their pictures. Except Pat. Pat looked like an above average guy in his pictures. In person, he looked 20 years older. Unfortunately, he wasn't nice or funny either. But he did buy me a latte, and I am always thankful for coffee :)
Nameless: Nameless because some people might know him
Just this week I went out for coffee with a guy who I found out I already knew. It is a small world. He is nice enough. I might go out with him next week again. I don't really have much more to say, other than, online dating is never anonymous, but always entertaining.

Some people reading this are probably wondering , why bother? Well, I wouldn't change a thing. Getting out of a long term relationship isnt easy. I got out there again and got practice. None of these turned into anything close to a relationship. But, had I not dated, I would have missed out on some laughs, good dinners, golf, Screamfest and a lot of other things- including getting great blog material! So, reflecting back, here is my lessons in love from 2011:
- A lot of people do what is easy instead of what is right. So, as my friend Alex would say, "Do what is right, not what is easy".
- Date your equal. I have yet to do this. I always settle for less. But, you can't find your equal without dating. I recently read a quote that said, "Breaking up is a chance to trade up". Something we should all think about!
- Trust the process. Trust that there is reason behind the chaos. When you trust, you can sit back and enjoy the ride. This is why 2011 didn't break me and probably why instead of saying, "I wish this year never happened", I am saying, "I am grateful for all the highs and lows".
- And my final lesson that I pull out when I do hit the lows, is one from my mom, "There is a lid for every pot". Sometimes these little sayings are what pull us up when we are down. Thanks Mom!

To everyone who stood by me this year-- thank you.
Surround yourself with amazing people, and no matter what life throws your way, you will come out on top. I promise!
Happy New Year friends,
Megan

No comments:

Post a Comment